Two Weeks of Fame

Stay caught up! Read - "Talking to God"

After almost a week in the hospital, I was finally released on Thursday, April 28th. My family had rearranged the basement so it could be my room for the next few weeks and I would be as comfortable as possible. My grandma had flown out from Tennessee to help take care of me so my parents could go back to work.

Even though my family had done everything they possibly could to help me, I felt like I shouldn't have been home. I didn't feel good enough to be home. I felt like I should have still been surrounded by doctors and nurses and hooked up to different machines and monitors.

But now, our old recliner would have to do instead of my accommodating hospital bed. Our chipped and scratched whiteboard was the new way of keeping track of my medications, instead of the nice and organized one at the hospital. And the hardest part of all, was having to settle for apple slices instead of the hospital mac and cheese.

But I wasn't too worried, because I was going to be right back in the hospital in less than two weeks for my spinal surgery.

I mostly slept while I was home. My grandma would wake me up every 2-4 hours to give me my meds. I would take my medicine, eat some apple slices, watch a few minutes of Family Feud or River Monsters, and then fall right back asleep. This wasn't a very common thing though, because for those two weeks, I was actually pretty busy.

In my post, "My Doctors Didn't Save Me", I talked all about the fundraisers and kind acts that the other softball teams did for us. If you're following along with my timeline, these were the two weeks where the majority of those kind acts were shown.

If you know me, you know I didn't like to miss ANY softball. Even if I wasn't playing.

So, I went to the games. We rented a wheelchair and I went. We drove to the high school and my brother pushed my wheelchair to the softball field. As soon as my team saw me coming, they all started cheering and chanting my name. I parked my wheelchair next to all the parents in the bleachers and spent the whole game talking and giving hugs.

I was exhausted and definitely overdoing it, but my adrenaline was so high from actually being at a softball game again that I felt great! I was just grateful to be there.

After the game, the opposing team had a gift basket for me and wanted me to come on the field. So with the help of my teammates, I walked onto the field and took some pictures with everyone. This wasn't just a one time deal. Like I mentioned in my other post, it was a regular occurrence at every game and it was amazing. Every time.

Over the next few days, a few things started happening. As some of my teammates liked to say,

"Mickey, you're FAMOUS!!"

The story of "The Softball Player in Springville Battling Brain Tumors" was quickly getting out, not just to the community, but to the media. There were multiple journalists and sports writers who would come to the games to interview me and my teammates. I ended up being the subject of many different newspaper articles.

I mean, to be fair, not a lot happens in Utah County.

One of my friends had come to the game / fundraiser the day before my brain surgery and interviewed me for a video he was making for the school announcements. He posted that video on Youtube which quickly received over a thousand views.

KSL picked up the story and came to a game to film and interview all of us. They had a little microphone clipped to my shirt for the whole game, so I had to be careful not to say anything about the umpires bad calls.

I had friends and family send me links and mail me newspaper clippings of all the different stories I was in. They'd be like,

"Hey! Look! Did you know you were in this??"

It was honestly so cute. I would always think, "What?! No way! How did they get an interview of me without me knowing??"

It wasn't like I was a celebrity where people would see me in public and cry and ask for a picture or anything, but people did recognize me. My family and I went to Payson Lakes one day to canoe and have a picnic so I could get out of the house, and my grandma, being the chatter box she is, started talking to some random lady who was on a walk. My grandma mentioned what I was going through and this random lady knew who I was!

A few months ago I went to a therapist and after briefly sharing my story, he had also heard of me! At almost every softball game I would overhear people from the other team say things like, "Isn't this the team with that one girl who had all those surgeries or something?"


It was weird receiving all this attention. It was weird so many people knew my name and my story. It was weird getting random messages from strangers. But honestly, I loved it. And I don't mean that in an arrogant or conceited way. I promise I'm not cool enough to be arrogant.

But I loved the attention because I knew I needed it. I needed to feel like people were there for me. I really needed to feel that love. I guess I'm just human that way. We ALL need love. Even the most stubborn, angry, and hard-hearted people.

And the best thing is that we have so much love to give. There is no limit to the amount of love we are capable of sharing. So please, share it. Share it completely and unapologetically. Even to the people who don't seem like they're going through a rough time. Especially to the people who don't seem like they're going through a rough time. Because I can promise you right now, EVERYONE is going through a rough time.

So lets all just share a little more love! Cause what else are we going to do with it?

💗 / Mickey

Click here to watch my story on KSL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6suEjaqQKaM

Click here to watch the video made by my friend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk589QLeHdk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alone.

My Doctors Didn't Save Me